Saturday, November 8, 2014

Anthony Head - Staring at the Sun - Album Review






Intro:

Hey y’all! I’m super excited for this blog. It’s something I’ve thought about for a while to help express all my pent up geekiness. I thought it only fitting for my first post to be about a person I consider a geek/scifi icon. After all he played the best, stuffiest, British Watcher in the world (not to mention many other fabulous roles). That’s right, I’m talking about Anthony Stewart Head. Now there are a TON of things I could say about this extremely talented and versatile actor (which I will, in future posts) but today I’m going to be reviewing his newest album that was released in September. I had too many thoughts and praises to tweet them all (Anthony is very active on Twitter) so I decided to finally create this blog in order to say all I needed/wanted to say. If I’m lucky, maybe this will get back to Anthony and he will read this. Oh my gosh I would die! He has responded to two of my tweets and I was floating on air all day. I’m not some crazy person but I admire him and love all his work so when little ‘ol me gets a tweet, I geek out.

Side note: Is it just me or does it feel weird calling a celeb, or anyone you don’t know, by their first name? I feel “Mr Head” is too formal but “Anthony” is too casual. I know some people call him “Tony” but I believe that’s only close friends and family. Gggrrrr. I think I’ll stick with Anthony and hope, if he reads this, he won’t have a problem with it.

Anyway, his album, Staring at the Sun, came out in September and only recently become available on iTunes. The CD is still only available on his website and comes from the UK so US people be prepared to pay extra bucks for the shipping and money exchange rate. If you’re broke, like me, you can listen to his entire CD for FREE on Spotify. (Don’t worry guys. I’ll post links to everything.) Since I can’t afford it yet and have been dropping not-so-subtle hints to my parents as to what my Christmas present should be, I am reviewing based on my listening on Spotify.

At the top is an overall review. Below that I have given my opinions and notes about each song. (If you don’t want to read the whole thing at least check out the review for The Way you Look Tonight.) Enjoy, post your thoughts in the comments and check out his CD! (Links are at the very bottom of the page.)


Overall opinion:

This CD is a mix of covers and original songs. I think it’s a good mix. The overall feel is very mellow, due to the beautiful piano and Anthony’s smooth voice. There aren’t any songs you can really jam out too but it is very relaxing. I have been listening to it when stressed or at night before bed. If you’ve seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer then you already know he can sing. Remember that awesome acoustic version of Behind Blue Eyes* he sang in season four? Well he has included it in this CD and amped it up a bit. (See below for more)

There is one beautifully sung acoustic version of Highway, Highway as a “hidden track” after The Way you Look Tonight so keep listening. It may be my favorite of the album. I wish there had been more songs like this one. Just simple, pure. Just Anthony and his guitar. The acoustic Highway has a nice intimate feel and would love to have more of that.

Anthony’s musical choices are brilliant. He knows exactly when to pause, where to crescendo, where to add emotion, when to use a low voice and when to go higher. Even his instrument choices were spot on.

Anthony has always been good with using emotions in his songs to really bring them to life**.  This is a hard thing to do properly. Anthony makes it look easy. I wanted to cry during Behind Blue Eyes, got shivers at the end of Under My Skin and swooned at The Way you Look Tonight. (See below for more)

There is no denying Anthony Head has a beautiful voice, speaking or singing, and I wish he would have pushed himself vocally a little more. Would like to have heard more long, loud notes; really showing where he can go. I understand, however, that it wouldn’t have fit well with the feel he was going for. (I feel one of the best songs to show off his vocal ability is Legal Assassin from Repo: The Genetic Opera.) I still very much enjoyed his soothing voice.

I found the album on Spotify three or four days ago and have listened to it, on repeat, since then. I now know just about all the words to every song and find myself humming it as I go about my daily activities.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed it immensely. (I almost never give 5 stars to anything, FYI.) I definitely will, and have, recommend this album to my friends.

Oh and this CD also gets the stamp of approval from my Little One. She may only be 6 but when it comes to music she knows exactly what she likes and doesn’t and she has no problem telling you she doesn’t like it. When I asked her if she liked it her exact response was “I love it. I love it. I want some more of it!”



*Season 4, episode 18 “Where the Wild Things Are”, 30:25 in. Yep. I am that detail oriented.

** Watch his Rocky Horror performance and Repo: The Genetic Opera. This is why he is my favorite of all the Frank n Furters in Rocky Horror. I felt like Tim Curry was just singing words. When Anthony sang, it was a performance. Frank was a real person with real emotions. You could feel it. (links below)





Opinions of Each Song:

1.  World so Cold
I first heard this on Anthony’s website, before it was available elsewhere. I think this was a good pick to represent his album. This is one of the few songs I do not listen to at bedtime. The tempo makes it too fast when I am going for slow and relaxing. Anthony has also made his own notes about this song on his website.

2. Another Hero Died Tonight
This one is sad. I envisioned a military tribute video. Love the guitar. I really like what he does to “dry” when singing “my mouth is dry”. Anthony holds a nice, long note about three minutes in that’s terrific.

3.  Behind Blue Eyes
Talk about using emotion in a song! You can really feel his pain, especially about three minutes in, so basically the end of the song. I wanted to cry. Expressing those emotions with only your voice and getting others to feel it is a difficult task that Anthony nailed. Perhaps it’s because of his skills as an actor.
I was disappointed it wasn’t acoustic like in Buffy but I love this version too. One of my favorite songs on the album.

4.  Staring at the Sun
This song is an example of knowing what octave to use. He sings very high and it works. About halfway through it starts to fade out and then comes back with a pump of energy. Perfect.

5.  Winter Wind
Really like this one. I find myself humming/singing this one a lot. Hey ho! The subtle maraca is great. I didn’t notice it at first but it really adds something.

6.  Under My Skin
I don’t know if this was planned or not, but this song was a bit creepy. Mostly, it was the last line of the song. It made me shiver, the way he says “skin”, the perfectly timed drums, and how his voice is very low and gravelly. Loved it. I like how he takes a well-known classic, adds his twist and yet keeps the charm of the original.
At two minutes in, I can’t tell if that is whistling or an instrument. I’m pretty sure it’s whistling. If it is, I wonder if that’s Anthony whistling. I would think so.

7.  Knock me Down
I can’t get this one out of my head. It’s very catchy. I don’t know what to say. I just really like it. Apparently, Anthony wrote the music for this one. Read about it on his website. Dang, he is one talented guy. Is there anything he can’t do?

8.  Highway, Highway
This is a beautiful song. Piano and voice flow together flawlessly. I love to close my eyes and just get wrapped up in it.

9.   Don’t Mess with Magic
When I first heard this I immediately thought of Giles and Willow. I envisioned Giles lecturing Willow on the dangers of magic. Telling her “You might think you stand a chance. Try to fight it, that you can win the powers of darkness to your side”. Didn’t Giles say almost exactly that in Buffy?  Heck, I could quote every line in this song and it would be applicable to the Giles and Willow relationship, especially in season 6.

10.   The Way you Look Tonight (and hidden tracks – Acoustic Highway, Highway)
This song is a classic and Anthony doesn’t disappoint. The first thing to pop into my head when hearing this was a vision of Anthony tenderly holding his partner, Sarah, as they dance around their kitchen. All the while, Anthony is lovingly singing this song into her ear. You can feel that love. Yet another great example of how he can inject emotions into his singing.
If you listen very carefully, at about 1:45 Anthony chuckles when saying “and that laugh that wrinkles your nose”. Brilliant.
In my top three of the album.

A terrific surprise awaits anyone who sticks around after the song ends. Approximately, 35 seconds after the song, an acoustic version of Highway, Highway comes on. I can not express how much I love it. It feels raw and intimate.  I found myself cheering along with the others when it ended, even before I knew there was cheering.

But wait, there’s more! That’s right. More. Roughly two minutes after Highway ends (10:25) we get an interesting clip of animal noises. There are birds, sheep and another one that I can’t put my finger on. I assume this is at Anthony and Sarah’s farm in the UK (Tilley Farm). Cool little listen.



Links:

Anthonyheadmusic.com – Download album or buy the CD. USA folks will end up paying about $23 for the CD because of shipping and exchange rates. Check out Anthony’s Track Notes.



iTunes – Search for “Anthony Head”. Do not use his middle name. When I did that I could only find his first CD Music for Elevators and Repo: The Genetic Opera soundtrack. By the way, Repo is SO worth it. If you haven’t seen it yet, do it now. Right now. Put down your bowl of Cocoa Puffs and get on YouTube. You can get most of the movie, in clips, on there. Or buy it from Amazon for $6.

Amazon Repo DVD - http://www.amazon.com/Repo-Genetic-Opera-Paul-Sorvino/dp/B001MT7ZEW/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1415435210&sr=1-1&keywords=repo+genetic+opera

Legal Assassin (From Repo) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9He9WlFDXqw&index=3&list=PL_0385mRacTiguaBr-oLXjVBtA1FjoIEl

Rocky Horror Live show – Unfortunately the quality is bad but it’s the only show I can find with Anthony. He’s still great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2GiDWLQFt4&list=FLznXkuCoyadG20f2CGa0WjA&index=1

Rocky Horror Tribute Show – Someone clipped Anthony’s parts out so you don’t have to watch the show. Possibly my favorite performance of his Sweet Transvestite. Skip to about a minute in.



Tilley Farmhttp://www.tilleyfarm.co.uk/  - This is Anthony and Sarah’s farm. Sarah Fisher does a lot of work with animals, seems to be mostly horses and dogs. She uses TTouch. Very interesting stuff. Sarah gives classes. They do great things for many animals. Definitely worth checking out. If you are viewing this on a mobile device, not all the pages work. For example, I am unable to see the drop-down menu on the Tilley Farm tab.
Fun Fact: The horse, pasture, and house shown in the beginning of season 7 of Buffy are Anthony’s. It’s his farm.


Cool to be Kindhttp://www.cooltobekind.org.uk/  - Anthony started this “to help promote, encourage and acknowledge acts of kindness to animals.” As the website says “Cool to be Kind was launched on January 1st 2014 for the sole purpose of promoting the message that it is Cool to be Kind to animals.” Wrist bands and tote bags are available for sale to help spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment